bet's adventure through a viewfinder.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Brussels, Belgium

Seems so long ago but in reality it has just been a bit more than a month. This is Brussels.. the first stop of my first trip by myself, and certainly it won't be my last, if I can help it. It was painful to make my way from the north train station to the hostel.. Despite the google map printed, I still got lost for about 10 minutes, in hot weather (at least 28 degrees that day) and with somewhat heavy luggage. Anyone who knows me would know I am directionally challenged.

My first stop: The Grand'Place, or Grote Markt, or Market Square. Breath-taking!






Streets around the Market Square.. lots of chocolate shops and tourist traps.






The Saint Hubertus Gallery nearby.




Also close to the market is the Stock Exchange Centre.




Chinatown? An area with a lot of Asian shops and restaurants.. Felt right at home.






Some street pics.. a blend of modern and historical? A yellow streetcar.







Some bad pics of the Palace of Justice. It's HUGE.





Capital of €urope? =\ This is outside the parliament.




Random park..






Time for churches! The Cathedral of St. Michael and St. Gudula.








Saint Catherine's Church.




Lastly, also my last stop in Brussels - the Atomium! It was the site of Expo '58.




What I liked best about Brussels: Grote Markt, chocolate, beer, waffles, mussels, and amazing street musicians.
What I liked least about Brussels: Random guys who'll just start talking to you on the streets. Lesson learned: avoid eye contact and keep walking!

No comments: